Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Writing Prompt Wednesday #3

We can be taught!
what makes a teacher great?

        I believe the primary quality that makes a teacher a great teacher is whole hearted teaching. It is not enough to just simply talk at the class, spew definitions and concepts out dryly, only to be memorized for test taking purposes and then forgotten soon after. The teachers whose words really stuck with me are those who were truly passionate about what they were teaching. So passionate that their eyes lit up with excitement throughout lectures. When that passion is there, the other qualities of a good teacher can build upon it.

        Equal efforts should be put forward by both student and teacher in the classroom. Just like teachers do not want to ride students' backs to encourage participation, students shouldn't have to go to extreme lengths on their own to try and understand class material. That can only mean that the teacher is not willing to work with the students and make sure they understand. That being said, a good teacher is also approachable, and encourages any questions and concerns to be brought up. 

        I had a teacher in High School who is, to this day, one of the best teachers I have ever had. You know what class she taught? Earth Science. Yep. To me, that's BOOORRRING. But you know what else? She was in love with rocks (lol), and she was always chipper and overly excited and happy to be teaching us. She loved her job of teaching, and she made the learning environment comfortable and friendly, which of course made her very approachable. I received almost perfect grades in her classes (I've taken a total of 2 with her), and that really doesn't happen for me with Earth Science..ever. And not only did I just receive good grades, I actually learned information. I didn't just memorize the facts, I learned, I discovered, I grew. And it was all because I had a teacher who was passionate about her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment