Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Writing Prompt Wednesday #2

Naked, With Black Socks On
Are you comfortable in front of people, or does the idea of public speaking make you want to hide in a bathroom? Why?

I have always been the one that starts shaking uncontrollably and has heart palpitations when giving a presentation. It's not a comfortable feeling at all, and I feel like everyone can see it. I notice the clear difference in those who give presentations with confidence and zest and personality versus me, tense and awkward. It's strange, because I do like attention. Most people do to some extent. I like when people listen to me, I like talking, I like speaking my mind and saying what I want to say. But when it comes to being in front of even just a small class of individuals I am not too familiar with, I tense up. That's the thing... unfamiliarity, strangers.

As normal human beings, we fear judgement and negative evaluation because we ultimately fear rejection. But Some people are able to tuck that fear away so easily in regards to public speaking. Where does that confidence come from? How do you find comfort in such a commonly uncomfortable situation? Even if I raise my hand to say a two or three word answer, I get a mini anxiety attack. I hesitate to raise my hand.

I feel it has gotten better over time. I try to raise my hand and speak my mind in class as much as I possibly can. I want to be noticed and I want my words to be heard, and it's important to be confident in my words in order for them to be effective and really mean something.

No comments:

Post a Comment