Thursday, October 16, 2014

First "MyOatmeal" Flavor Reviews

Hooray! So I'm finally getting a chance to review the oatmeals I bought from MyOatmeal.com ! If you aren't aware, MyOatmeal lets you create your own custom oatmeal and peanut butter. I made a post reviewing my excitement upon finding it. I ordered my first round of flavors last week and they were delivered just 2 days later! Which was 2 days earlier than I was expecting. 

The two flavors I ordered were:
1. Instant oats with "Pumpkin spice" flavor + "old fashioned glazed doughnut", sweetened with monkfruit.
2. Instant oats with "Graham cracker crust" flavor, sweetened with monkfruit

First, let's review my "pumpkin doughnut" oatmeal. Out of the billions of options, I created this one because it's seasonal, and I thought I'd add the "doughnut" element, because hey, why have pumpkin spice when you can have pumpkin spice doughnuts?

As soon as I opened the bag, the beautiful scent of pumpkin spice erupted into the air. Excitement building. Since I got instant oats, I just added some water, and stuck it in the microwave for a minute. They always say 1 part oats, 2 parts water, but I usually do about a 1:1 ratio because I like my oatmeal thick. 

Once it cooled, I took a taste, having added nothing whatsoever besides the water before microwaving. And suddenly, an EXPLOSION of pumpkin spice flavor mixed with the decadence of a warm doughnut flooded the inside of my mouth and I was absolutely blown away. I was instantly satisfied with my purchase, and instantly excited to know what all the other flavors tasted like. Straight out of the microwave, absolutely delicious and decadent. I added a garnish of pumpkin pie spice on top to make it look pretty for photo purposes, but taste wise, it didn't need it at all. Just the right amount of sweetness, too. I seriously could NOT BELIEVE how much this tasted like a pumpkin doughnut.


The second time around, I mixed in some plain greek yogurt to make it creamier, just a few spoonfuls, and extra sweetener if needed. I really liked the way the yogurt enhanced the flavor and texture. If you make your oats with not so much water to begin with, adding the yogurt won't mute the flavor. 



NEXT: I tried the graham cracker flavor. Smell: amazing. The taste was very warm and really did taste like graham cracker. It's a simple flavor, so it wasn't decadent, obviously, but it was sweet with a warm, comforting flavor.
I added some yogurt to this one too and, again, it enhanced flavor and texture. Definitely a good flavor choice for when you're in the mood for a simple flavor.


I know, how many pictures of oatmeal can you possibly take before it gets old? Not to mention it isn't the most appealing looking thing in the world when it's not topped with anything.

But anyways, I am blown away by these oatmeal flavors. I don't know what I want to try next, the options are killing me! I've actually made a list. It hardly eased the overwhelmingness. 

Please, if you've got any combination ideas, I urge you to share with me! What kind of oatmeal would you make?


No comments:

Post a Comment